Every day, Believe in Syracuse talks about the positive aspects of our community and the need to change the conversation about Syracuse. Our goal is to be the counter balance to all the negativity and cynicism out there about Syracuse. It is important for us to remind ourselves of the importance of not just believing in Syracuse, but working to spread that message.
Here's our list of positive things that can directly result from spreading the word that Syracuse is worth believing in:
- Population Growth: When people decide where to live, many factors come into play. Family, Friends and Employment are some of the most direct. Deciding where to live is for many a strategic life decision about where they will find happiness and fulfillment. If you make that decision looking at the big picture, the future and the community atmosphere, you are likely to decide based on if you believe in Syracuse and if people who live there believe in it.
- Better Civic Dialogue: If you ever read the comments on Syracuse.com articles you know that signs of progress and proposed solutions in Syracuse are often met with cynicism and negativity. While constructive criticism is very important to a public debate, a culture of cynicism often overshadows big ideas. If we change how that conversation about how to make Syracuse better then we will accelerate our momentum forward.
- Personal Ambition: Many people in this world think there is a ceiling on what they can accomplish in their careers and in their lives. One of the excuses they sometimes give themselves is their geographic location. The fear of failure so often prevents people from trying to reach their career goals. If you believe in Syracuse, you believe in what you can accomplish here and that makes you more likely to strive for more in life.
- Individual Happiness: For humans, it's important to feel part of something bigger than ourselves. There is a strong community of people who care about Syracuse and that work toward making it better. Being aware of those efforts and being part of them makes us happier.
- Local Institutions Think Bigger: Believe it or not, government officials, corporate and Non-Profit CEO's are influenced by public perception and have varying levels of belief in our city. In the past, many local institutions have proposed big ideas to solve our problems and have been shot down with negativity. By changing the conversation about Syracuse, we can not only the perception of Syracuse by local institutions but we can also let them know that we will stand behind them when they stand up for bold ideas.
- Elevating Syracuse on the National Stage: Syracuse is often viewed from the outside as a college town or as a place with record snowfall. The more we promote the good things that are happening here, the more regional and national recognition we will receive. This can mean that the federal government could invest more money here, national companies will decide to open offices here, helping our economy and creating jobs.
Together we can spread the message that Syracuse is a city on the rise. Click like below if you're with us.